Kroger Ending Double Coupons in Columbus, OH Market May 1, 2014

by Marcy on March 28, 2014 · 7 comments

kroger deals

Kroger announced today that they are making changes to their coupon policy. Kroger will no longer double coupons in the Columbus, OH region of stores effective May 1, 2014. You can read the Dispatch article here. That means that coupons will be redeemed at face value. Kroger claims that they will be lowering every day prices on thousands of items in conjunction with this coupon policy change.

Meijer stores already eliminated double coupons, so that leaves Giant Eagle as the only Central Ohio retailer that doubles coupons. I personally shop at Giant Eagle, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they don’t take this away as well.

Personally I’m disappointed, but not surprised. I already tend to favor stores that double coupons vs those that don’t (Target, Walmart) because I have always felt that my dollar can go further in those stores. If my local grocery stores stop doubling coupons, chances are good I’m going to start doing a majority of my shopping at ALDI – where I’m confident I’m getting the best price on most items – even without coupons.

What are your thoughts?

1 Hayley March 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM

This doesn’t surprise me, my Kroger doesn’t even take internet printables anymore.

2 Joanne March 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Giant Eagle is closing the 2 Toledo area stores the end of April. Meijer lost alot of my business when they stopped doubling coupons. Kroger probably will too. I need to see the lower prices on the thousands of items that Kroger is promising. Otherwise, it looks like Aldi and SaveaLot for me.

3 Summer March 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I’m not surprised either. I’m in that 2% and it makes me sad to think I don’t matter to them. After Meijer stopped doubles I coupon shop more at Kroger, GE and price match at Walmart. I will probably shop even more at Aldi then I do now.

4 Marcy March 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I am having a hard time understanding why they felt the need to make this change if “only 2%” of customers are serious couponers. It shouldn’t matter much to their bottom line then, right?

5 Sue April 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I am in the Cincinnati area and Kroger stopped doubling here a couple years ago. They claimed the same thing prices would go down but what I noticed was that the packaging on some things went down in size. The Kroger brand products. I never go there except for the free Friday download item. We have Remke Markets that double and every couple months they have a super double coupon day and double the ones up to a dollar anything over that becomes $2. They also have a 10 cent Wednesday item. They have to be making plenty of money in order to build these huge marketplace stores which is what we have in our town so why not keep a small portion of customers happy. Our business won’t matter much to their bottom line but to my households bottom line cutting double coupons out had a huge impact. Just showed me how important us 2% was to them.

6 Brandy April 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I don’t buy this every day low prices business. I have seen some of these yellow tags, and I KNOW for a fact, that I paid a lower regular price in the week or two before. That’s all a game of smoke and mirrors.

7 Sandy April 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I am very disappointed that Kroger is no longer going to double coupons. I could always count on my double coupons to stretch my dollars at Kroger. Looks like I will have to find somewhere else to shop every week for good deals. I’m afraid Kroger is going to lose more business than they think over this. It’s a shame that the “2%” of coupon users are not valued shoppers; we probably end up buying more than non-coupon users.