Zucchini Pizza Bites Recipe
This summer has been a wet one here in Ohio, and that means that not all of our vegetables have fared so well. This is the first year in a LONG time that we did not get even one tomato, however we have been getting more zucchini and cucumbers than I know what to do with at times! Thankfully, Zucchini is a super versatile vegetable. I love searching the web for ideas on how to use up our harvest. Are you looking for ways to use up your zucchini too?
One of my new favorite ways to use zucchini is to make these Zucchini Pizza Bites. They are so easy and fun to make, and my kids will even eat them! They are perfect for snacking or for a light meal, and can be customized to fit your tastes.
If you cook with zucchini often, you know that it can get soft and squishy fast. I think the biggest revelation for me with this recipe is that grilling the zucchini makes it the perfect, crisp base for pizza toppings. Broiling will have a similar effect, but I prefer using my indoor grill pan to prep the zucchini. (Tip: It’s really important that you use olive oil or spray to keep the zucchini from sticking to the pan.)
Theses would be great with fresh mozzarella and a sprinkling of bread crumbs as well!
Here are the details:
- 2 large zucchini, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- ¼ cup mini pepperoni pieces, optional
- Italian seasoning, for sprinkling
- Lightly mist both sides of zucchini rounds lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil or grill the zucchini rounds (I used a grill pan set to medium-high) for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place cooked zucchini rounds on a large lined baking sheet. Top with small amounts of sauce, cheese and pepperoni pieces. (Optional). Broil on low for 1-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and serve warm.
In addition to these pizza bites, this Chicken Zucchini Casserole Recipe is one of my personal favorites!
What are your favorite Zucchini Recipes?
Other articles of interest: