UPDATE: This giveaway has ended. Winner is #74, Leidy.
Recently, Kroger contacted me and asked if I would like to participate in a $50 Shopping Challenge. As you know, Kroger recently stopped doubling coupons in all markets and instead have started offering lower prices on many items throughout the store. I’m going to be completely transparent here and say that I was not happy about this change – I love my double coupons and it has taken some time for me to adjust!
My challenge was to stretch $50 as far as I could using coupons, digital coupons and weekly sales/specials, so I sat down with my sales flyer and the Kroger Coupon Match Ups posted on my site and came up with my shopping list. (On a positive note, I do like that select Kroger Digital Coupons can now be used more than once per transaction!)
For this challenge my one rule for myself was to buy only items that I needed or would use – I was not going to spend $50 on items that I don’t need – I wanted this to be realistic. Thankfully, that did not prove to be difficult!
With the Memorial Day holiday upon us, I was in need of a few cookout items. We were also out of milk, bread and yogurt. My 4 year old has been bugging me for Popsicles, so those were on the list too. Thankfully, these items and more are on sale at Kroger this week.
Here are the items that I purchased at Kroger today, for a grand total of $49.36:
- 3 Gallons of Kroger 2% Milk ($2.99 each)
- 1 Loaf of Arnold Bread ($2.19 after $1/2 Kroger Digital Coupon)
- 1 Loaf of Brownberry Bread ($2.99 after $1/2 Kroger Digital Coupon)
- 2 bags of Doritos ($2.50 each)
- 2 Containers of Strawberries ($2 each)
- 4 boxes of Popsicles ($1 each)
- 2 boxes of Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal ($2 each after $1/2 Manufacturer’s Coupon)
- 1 Hebrew National Beef Franks ($2.99 each)
- 1 Heinz Ketchup ($1.74 each)
- 1 – 4 pack Oikos Greek Yogurt ($3.50 each)
- 2 Kraft Salad Dressing ($1.49 each after $1/2 Manufacturer’s Coupon)
- 3 Kraft Cheese Singles ($1.67 each)
- 1 Breyers Ice Cream ($2 each after $0.50/1 Kroger Digital Coupon)
So what are my thoughts? With a little bit of planning and coupon clipping (nothing excessive) I feel that I was able to get a good value for my money at Kroger. I feel that Kroger is still offering competitive prices on groceries, although you’ll get the biggest bang for your buck when you take advantage of Kroger Digital Coupons and the Kroger Fuel Program. I miss double coupons, and for serious couponers I am not convinced that lower prices overall will offset Kroger taking that away (I do not have proof of this). The deals aren’t as good as they were when I started this blog in 2008 – but that is pretty much across the board – not just at Kroger. However, I still feel that the method of pairing sales with coupons and stocking up on items when they are at their lowest price is still beneficial – and likely always be. Kroger is still offering several great ways to save, and I feel that there are still many great deals to be found in their stores.
WIN IT! I’m thrilled that the folks at Kroger have given me a $50 Kroger Gift Card to award to one lucky winner!
What am I giving away?
1 winner will receive a $50 Kroger Gift Card
How can you win?
You can enter up to 4 times:
1) Leave a comment letting me know your favorite way to save at Kroger. (Note: Scroll to the bottom of this post and click “Post Comment”. You must be on my site – you can’t do this through a reader.)
2) Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter:
Win a $50 @Kroger Gift Card over @stretchingabuck: #giveaway
3) Fans of the Stretching a Buck Facebook Page. Just be sure to leave a comment here letting me know that you are a fan!
4) Subscribe to my feed or email newsletter and stay on top of all of the deals that I write about each week! If you already subscribe, please leave a separate comment letting me know that you are currently a subscriber (thank you!).
Who is eligible?
You must have a valid US address and be 18 year of age to be eligible.
When does this giveaway end?
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 6PM EST
The winner will be chosen via the random number generator at random.org and will be notified via email. Please note that if I do not hear from the winner within 2 days that another winner will be chosen.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Kroger. I received a $50 Kroger credit to make my purchases and was sent a $50 Kroger gift card to give away. Opinions expressed here are strictly my own. View my disclosure policy here.