Ten Fun Frugal Beauty Tips
This is a guest post written by my friend Jen, a busy wife and mom to 4 kids. I love her fun frugal beauty tips, and plan to try a few of them myself!
Walk into any drugstore or grocery store and the beauty aisles are huge. You could spend a small fortune on products to reduce your wrinkles, make your skin shine, your hair healthy and your smile brighter. But you don’t have to!
Here are Ten Fun Frugal Beauty Tips that will help you save money AND be beautiful.
- Reduce acne and acne scaring with banana peels. Rub the peel on your face and let sit for 30 minutes or overnight. Bananas are full of lutein – a product you find in many over the counter beauty products. I store the banana peels in my fridge and use a strip at a time as often as I remember. My skin looks so much firmer, clearer and healthier when I am good about using the banana peels two or three times a day.
- Use an all-in-one shampoo and conditioner. One bottle typically costs exactly the same as the shampoo or conditioner, so you are saving half the money when you use a combo instead of buying them separately. Bonus – you save half the time as well.
- Choose a simple hair style that doesn’t require frequent visits to the hair dresser. I get my hair cut every 5 or 6 months. Compare this to a hair style that requires bi-monthly visits and I am saving a couple of hundred dollars a year.
- Skip the color. I take the attitude that I have worked hard as a parent and earned every single one of my gray hairs. Savings = hundreds of dollars a year.
- Use olive oil or coconut oil on your hands. A small dab will do and these products are great, natural moisturizers. It is cheaper than fancy lotions and you avoid a lot of chemicals this way.
- Skip the manicures/pedicures and do them yourself. Invest in good quality products, put on a movie or some good music and do them yourself in the comforts of your own home. You will save money and will have everything you need to touch them up as needed. Nothing is worse than paying for an expensive manicure only to chip a nail the next day.
- Apple cider vinegar is wonderful for you – inside and out. Did you know that you can use it as a hair rinse to reduce dandruff? I use it a couple of times a week after I shampoo. Let sit for a couple of minutes and rinse well. I haven’t had a dandruff problem since I started doing this last year.
- Use avocado as a facial mask for dry skin. Mash a small amount and spread gently over your face and neck. Let sit for 15 minutes and then wash off. Avocado is a great natural moisturizer.
- Mix up a basic sugar scrub to exfoliate your skin in the shower. Mix white sugar with olive oil until you get your desired consistency. You can add some essential oil drops to add a scent if you want, but it isn’t necessary. Use liberally in the shower and rinse. Your skin will feel amazing and soft.
- Make your razor last longer by drying it very well after each use. When I am done shaving I dry my razor with a towel, then blow out any water and continue to dry. Finally I store my razor well away from water. Keeping the moisture away from your razor will prevent any rust build up which is what will make your razor dull and cause nicks. I have been using my current razor blade for over a year now and it still works perfectly.
Do you have any frugal beauty tips that you would add to this list? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below!