UPDATE: This giveaway has ended. Winner is #15, kellywcu
Recently the folks at Staples sent me an Acer Google Chromebook to review! I have spent the past few weeks having fun with it, but primarily I set it up for my 7.5 year old second grader to use. She feels really special now that she has her very own laptop. :-) Her teachers recommended several educational game websites, and I decided to bookmark them on the Chromebook for easy access. Prior to this my daughter was mostly using our 1st generation iPad, and I have found the Chromebook to be a nicer alternative for school work – in large part due to the keyboard. And while I didn’t weigh our iPad, the Chromebook is quite possibly a bit lighter than the iPad (with case). I wasn’t expecting that. And you can see in the image below how much smaller it is than my dinosaur Dell laptop!
If you are unfamiliar with a Google Chromebook – in a nutshell it is a laptop running the Chrome Operating System (OS). That means that you do not load software on to this system like you would a PC or a Mac. Instead you use the Google suite of tools and apps (run on the cloud), plus you can browse the web. This might sound a little limiting but it’s not at all! I am amazed at how many apps and extensions are available.
Here are some basic product specs:
- Intel® Celeron® 847 1.1GHz 2MB L2 Cache Processor
- 4GB DDR3 Installed Memory
- 16GB Solid State (SSD) Hard Drive
- 11.6″ HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit LCD Display
From my perspective, I love how easy the Chromebook was to use straight out of the box. Prior to this I had no other experience with a Google Chromebook. The Acer Google Chromebook is extremely lightweight and portable. It’s perfect for me to take on short trips or business meetings because it fits easily in my larger purses – I love not having to take a separate laptop bag with me – I can just slide the Chromebook into a small laptop sleeve and stick it in my purse. It’s also perfect for my 7.5 year old because it’s just her size (it’s 1 inch thick and weighs just 3 pounds)!
It did take some time for me to get use to the keyboard on the Acer Google Chromebook – the keys are pretty small. But I found the keys to be comfortable to use once I got used to the size of them. As someone who uses several Google products (Gmail, Chrome, Docs, Google+ etc…), I’m particularly fond of the google search key on the keyboard.
When traveling, WiFi can be spotty or slow, so I love that I can access my documents on Google Drive and my Gmail when WiFi isn’t available. And while I’m still new to all of the awesome, FREE apps and extensions available in the Chrome Web Store, I have had fun exploring.
Other features of the Acer Google Chromeboook that I love:
- The price! At just $229 I feel that this product is a great value.
- Virus protection is already built in – eliminating one of my biggest annoyances of owning a PC
- It’s quick and is perfect for checking email, browsing the web + more
- The battery lasts for at least 4 hours which is extremely nice when I am out and about
- It’s an Acer. I have always had great experiences with Acer products (durability) and Acer is a name that I personally trust.
I know that I have only begun to scratch the surface of all that this mighty little machine has to offer! You can learn more about the Acer 11.6″ Chromebook on the Staples website here. (Even though it is currently out of stock you can try to reserve one and pick up in store).
WIN IT! And because Staples has everything you need to send your students back to school in style, 1 lucky winner will receive this Jansport Digital Student Backpack with a 15″ removable laptop sleeve, thanks to Staples!
What am I giving away?
1 winner will receive this Jansport Digital Student Backpack
How can you win?
You can enter up to 4 times:
1) Leave a comment letting me know what you most like to buy at Staples. (Note: Scroll to the bottom of this post and click “Post Comment”. You must be on my site – you can’t do this through a reader.)
2) Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter:
@stretchingabuck is giving away a Jansport Laptop Bag thanks to @Staples! Enter to win: http://www.stretchingabuckblog.com/?p=69660 #giveaway
3) Fans of the Stretching a Buck Facebook Page automatically earn an extra entry Just be sure to leave a comment here letting me know that you are a fan!
4) Subscribe to my feed or email newsletter and stay on top of all of the deals that I write about each week! If you already subscribe, please leave a separate comment letting me know that you are currently a subscriber (thank you!).
Who is eligible?
You must have a valid US address to be eligible.
When does this giveaway end?
Friday, September 27, 2013 at 5PM EST
The winner will be chosen via the random number generator at random.org and will be notified via email. Please note that if I do not hear from the winner within 2 days that another winner will be chosen.