Meijer Stores to Eliminate Double Coupons in All Stores on 8/25/13

by Marcy on August 5, 2013 · 8 comments

Meijer-Logo

Yesterday I received an email from a reader Craig, letting me know that a sign at his local Meijer stated that ALL Meijer stores will be eliminating double coupons effective 8/25/13. After some digging, I found this post buried in the comments on the Meijer Facebook Page regarding this policy change, and an apparent shift toward promoting the Meijer mPerks program:

meijer facebook no more double coupons

Sadly the loss of double coupons appears to be a trend. Earlier this year, Kroger announced that they were eliminating double coupons in select markets.

Those of us living in Central Ohio have long enjoyed a generous coupon doubling policy  at Meijer, Kroger and Giant Eagle stores, with coupons up to $0.99 truly doubling ($0.99 = $1.98). This is/was rare, as most of the nation appeared to be capped at coupons doubling to $1.

How do you feel about the trend of stores eliminating double coupons? Do you shop at Meijer regularly and do you use the mPerks program? Will this Meijer coupon policy change affect your decision to shop there?

View a complete list of Meijer Weekly Ad Coupon Match Ups here.

1 Wendy August 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Nooooooooooo!! This is awful. Meijer is my go to grocery store and I relied heavily on double coupons. I do use mperks, but they don’t double. I’m so, so sad to hear this news. First Kroger, now this….. :(

2 Veda S August 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My only hope is that they will offer high value digital coupons. But not everyone has a computer or is computer savvy when it comes to loading the coupons. Or possibly designate one day as a double coupon day each week. If I recall right, lol, Big Bear used to do triple coupons every so often. Those were the good old days.

3 Marie August 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Time to retrain the brain. This will definitely affect the way I shop. I see a .75 Q as $1.50, and .50 as $1 so this will take some getting used to. I know it will make me think about where I go to get weekly deals and if it will even be worth the drive for me to go that far. The closest Meijer to me is 20-25 minutes away. I have a Kroger about 10 min. away. I also think I will not be printing as many coupons as before. I think it is eventually going to be where all stores will stop doubling and the next to go may be stacking. It overall really doesn’t surprise me though.

4 kris August 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Wow another Meijer bummer. First price comparison, then the discount bin, then bulk, then putting mostly mfg coupons on mperks and now this. Will definitely change my shopping strategy…and glad to return to walmart especially when I have a brand new one opening in a week. As an unemployed person, the double coupons really help score some super savings. Mperks does not offer enough store coupons to stack on mfgs to keep me walking in their store.

5 Cindy August 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

This is so upsetting to me! I have always loved Meijer and one of those reasons was their double coupons. Meijer has been my main grocery store for years. I find it hard to believe only 5% of their customers use coupons. I’m rarely the only one in line with coupons. I am definitely going to have to rethink my shopping and where I go. Now I know why the cashiers have been cramming the mPerks program down my throat every time I’m there.

6 donna August 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Sad that this is the trend. As I recall, Walgreen’s stopped register rewards and tried to go with their Balance Rewards program exclusively. Might not have worked out as they had planned for they seem to be reinstating the rewards again.

I personally don’t know what I will do until the time arrives. Giant Eagle seems to want to be the most customer friendly and the most business savvy accepting everyone else’s coupons. Might be worth paying a few cents more to support the store that is best supporting me.

I do know that I will continue to check your website Joni as you are always on top of all the ways to save. Maybe I’ll finally win the weight battle if I can’t afford to buy food. haha

7 Cheryl M August 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Just another store I won’t be able to shop at.
I’ve been shopping at Walmart more & more.
I’ve thought about starting to shop at Giant Eagle, do they still double?

8 Mar H August 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I have been a fan of Meijer since I was a kid and we would go when we were in Michigan visiting relatives. I prefer to shop at Meijer and Kroger – seems some things tend to be better at one and some better at the other. The Meijer closest to me (or where I tended to be the most often) closed in the spring, and I now have to drive well past a Kroger to get to the next closest Meijer. I’ve already only been going to Meijer maybe once a month instead of once a week. This is another bummer.