You spend so much time planning your garden, prepping it, planting it, and tending to it. The last thing you want is for weeds to take over! They can sneak up like a thief in the night, quickly snuffing out your plants and causing them to wither away. They steal the nutrients your plants so badly need, and of course, they are simply unsightly! If you are losing the battle with the weeds in your garden, it may be time to try some new techniques.
If you have perused the weed control aisle at your local gardening center, you may have noticed that this weed control can come at a high cost. The good news is, it does not have to! There are many tried and true thrifty ways to get rid of those garden weeds once and for all. Below, you will find 7 thrifty tricks for wiping out garden weeds.
7 Thrifty Tricks for Wiping Out Garden Weeds:
1. Smother them! Keep weeds from creeping up by smothering them out! Laying a thick layer of mulch or ground cover can keep them at bay. Simply apply a thick layer of crushed leaves, hay, wet newspapers, or traditional garden mulch. The thick covering will keep them from getting sun and physically act as a barrier. Final cost: FREE to $2.50 a bag for traditional mulch.
2. Go to Battle with Baking Soda Weeds shake at the sight of baking soda! Just sprinkle it into the cracks of your sidewalk and driveway to kill weeds. Reapply after a heavy rain. Dandelions especially hate baking soda so this method is very effective for them! Final cost: $2.00 or less for a box of baking soda.
3. Bleach them out. Bleach works well on weeds, especially ones on driveways or in sidewalk cracks. Pour undiluted bleach directly onto the weeds. After 48 hours, pull. The root system will be burned away and they won’t return. DO NOT use this method on lawns or flower beds, just driveway or sidewalk weeds. Final cost: $2.00 or less.
4. Send weeds packing with Salt Weeds dislike salt and so it is a great option for thrifty and natural weed treatment. Mix up a solution of 1 cup of table salt and 3 cups water. Heat it over a medium heat and gradually bring it to a boil. You can then take the solution and pour it on your pesky weeds. Final cost: Less than $1.00.
5. Give them a dose of vinegar. White vinegar or apple cider vinegar are great for treating weeds. Simply pour into a spray bottle and spray directly at the roots. Wait 48 hours before reapplying or pulling what is remaining of the weed. Reapply after a heavy rain. Final cost: Less than $2.00.
6. Why not try WD-40? This is such a clever trick! Have pesky weeds that just won’t hit the road? Take a can of WD-40 (everyone has this in their garage!) and give the roots a quick spray. You usually only need to try this once and the weeds will wither up and hit the road. Final cost: Around $3.00.
7. Burn them up. Don’t toss that pot of water you used to boil your dinner pasta in. Instead, pour the hot water over your weeds. The hot water is deadly to them and will cause them to die. Plus, this is a great way to reuse the water instead of just pouring it down the drain! Final cost: FREE!
As you can see, you have several thrifty options when it comes to ridding your yard and garden of nasty weeds. If you have pets and kids, these solutions are especially perfect because they are non toxic and safe to use around them.
Don’t let weeds have their way with your yard. Give one or more of these options a try when it comes to fighting weeds in your yard and you are sure to win AND keep some money in your pocket while you are at it!
What thrifty weed control tips would you add to this list?