TLC’s Extreme Couponing Casting Call

by Marcy on February 16, 2011 · 8 comments

Are you proud of your extreme couponing skills and want to share them with others? TLC’s Extreme Couponing contacted me recently to let me know that they are searching for folks to be on their show. If you would like to share your couponing expertise, you can email them at extremecouponingcasting@gmail.com to express interest in being on the show.

I haven’t posted about this series up until this point for a couple of reasons. One, I’m not really a fan of “extreme” anything. Two, I haven’t decided how I feel about how this show reflects on those of us who use coupons.

I’m half scared to ask this but I’m going to anyway – have you tuned in to TLC’s Extreme Couponing, and if so, what did you think?

1 mary @ 4our2cents February 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I haven’t watched it. But from what I have heard, I don’t think I would like it either. I agree, it doesn’t sound like it puts the “average” couponer in a good light. I have seen lots of posts on FB about it. People are amazed by how much you can save. But this doesn’t really surprise us seasoned shoppers! :)

2 kh February 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM

it was ridiculous. that show was more ike extreme hoarding. who buys 100 toothbrushes or candy bars at a time. your not saving when you spend 70 on the coupons and then spend 5 hours at the check out b/c the cash register fries out with over 500 transactions. that is not normal. these people have to have seperate insuance policies for the “stockpile” rooms, she might as well just be a grocery store.

3 Theresa E February 16, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m with you. I refuse to watch. There can be O.C.D in anything that people choose to do. It seems to me that just because there is some people that go to the extreme , don’t assume everyone is that way just because they use coupons. That’s just my opinion.

4 Jennifier February 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I think that show makes all of us “regular” couponers seem insance to everyone else. I doubt many people have stockpiles that require insurance policies!

5 Melissa February 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I have seen it and you have to take into consideration that Jonie (The Krazy Coupon Lady) donated all the stuff she bought during the show to a food bank. Their not all bad, but I do agree that 150 candy bars is dumb, and buying 1500 cereal coupons and then buying 1500 boxes of cereal then being impressed with yourself about how much you saved is not that exciting to me. Now if someone couponed and got meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) for a family for 2 weeks and only spent $2.00 I would be impressed. But just buying mass amounts of coupons on one item on sale is not that great.

6 Kristel February 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I agree with the hoarding part. On one hand it was pretty cool to see someone walk away with hundreds of dollars in free product but I found myself being more and more irritated watching some of these people hoard their products when they could have been donating them to a local food shelf or even a women’s shelter. I mean really, who needs 150 years worth of deodorant or 60 years worth of toilet paper?

7 Amy February 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM

At first, I was really excited to watch the show, but after i did, I felt a little scared for the viewers who watched couponing for the first time. Cause that either made them really turned on to couponing or really turned off. For everyone who is being negative by the amount of stuff that got purchased, please keep in mind that it was only purchased in that amount because the show wanted to give the impression of “extreme”. And the show did say that “it was their biggest haul yet”. These people who purchase more than you do not purchse that amount all the time. And i wish the show emphasized that alot of the stuff got donated.

8 amy February 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM

i agree, I was so intrested in the show at first. But after watching it, I felt that most of the people in it needed some help. Special ordering 1500 boxes of cereal to purchase and give away, this just seemed like it was a game. I just started super saving with coupons but i purchase things that I NEED, I agree with a eariler post if someone on the show could show me how to get meals for 2 years for 2.00 now that would be extreem!!!