Date Nights: How do you save + a new movie release!

by Marcy on April 8, 2010 · 11 comments

This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of 20th Century Fox. All opinions are 100% mine.

Tomorrow night my husband and I are going on a (RARE!) date night to celebrate our anniversary before baby #2 is born (thanks to my step sister!!). We tend to head to the movie theater on the few occasions that we are able to escape on our own, and tomorrow will be no exception. While we are still debating which movie to see (he wants to see that popular 80’s remake!), I am leaning more toward the new Date Night Movie starring Tina Fey and Steve Carrell. I saw the trailer for this movie when I went to the theater with a friend for my birthday recently, and it looks hilarious!

If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, you can check it out here:

“Date Night” opens tomorrow April 9th, 2010 in theaters nationwide. If we do end up seeing it, I’ll be sure to come back here and let you know what I think!

While I am on the subject of date nights, I am curious – how do you and your significant other find ways to go on dates on the cheap? I shared a few of my ideas with you in a post last year (check it out here.) I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions as well!

Visit my sponsor: Date Night

1 karen April 8, 2010 at 4:22 PM

We have date lunches instead of nights. It’s easier on our babysitter (both kids nap most of the time we are gone) and lunch is always cheaper than dinner. That being said, we’ve only had two dates in the past year! Something to work on.

2 B April 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM

^Karen beat me to it.
Lunch prices and matinees are cheaper!
I think we get more personal and less rushed service if we go in the afternoon, between lunch and dinner, too. Another way to save is to share the whole meal…appetizer, dinner, and dessert. Sometimes I will just order a small side salad to round it out some. Saves calories, too!
I have a built in babysitter in my oldest daughter…but since she wants to do things with her friends and boyfriend on Saturday nights, it’s win/win.

3 B April 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Forgot…sometimes we do brunch, too. If we wake up, or we plan to wake up, early on a Sunday, that’s a really nice and quiet time to go have a meal together. It gets the day started on a nice note, and leaves the rest of it to do things around the house, or take an afternoon FAMILY outing.

4 Annie April 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM

When we want to have a “date night” we occasionally pick a nice meal to make at home that includes steak and/or seafood and after the kids have gone to bed, usually around 7 p.m., we cook dinner together with a nice glass of wine, pop in a movie and enjoy each other’s company!
We do go out occasionally, but with three children- one of which is a newborn, it is just easier for us to date at home right now.
.-= Annie´s last blog ..Bits & Pieces From My Mush Brain =-.

5 EMily April 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM

We do a monthly date lunch. We moved 6 hours from our families 1 year ago, and so we meet during a work day while the kids are at daycare since we don’t have any family or sitters that we can leave them with. We use either restaurant.com certificates or an entertainment book coupon for B1G1 to try to keep the cost down.

6 Faith April 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I just purchased my first Groupon to a great intown (Atl) restaurant. I paid $15 for a $40 Groupon. The coupon is even good for drinks too. So we can probably get dinner and a glass of wine. And all at $15! We also like to ride out to one of the small (not Hartsfield!) airports and watch the planes landing and taking off. Air traffic gets busy on a Friday night with all the small business jets coming home for the weekend.

7 Gloria Brown April 9, 2010 at 8:10 AM

We exchange watching kids with a few other couples from our church. We watch theirs when they go out etc. We go out kind of early to beat the crowd and I always have some kind of coupon! Be it a B1G1F or free appetizer, etc.

8 Christy Bartlett April 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM

When the weather is warm, we like to pack a picnic and go sit at the park. If we have coupons, we might get Subway or something to eat at the park but usually we just pack some food. It is not only an inexpensive date but it is also a way to have time to talk about nothing or everything with no interruptions. My husband is a coach at the high school for 3 sports and as a coach’s gift he usually gets a gift card for a date night so we take full advantage of that.

9 Dana @ The Coupon Challenge April 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM

We wait until one of our parents can watch the kids, so we don’t have to pay for a sitter. I just ordered certificates from restaraunt.com at 80% off, so I hope that savings will add to more nights out.

We also will splurge on good steaks or crab legs and eat in. Much cheaper than going out but still a nice change from the ordinary dinner fare.

10 Marcy April 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM

We did end up going to see this last night and even my husband thought it was funny! Fun night. :-)

11 Sarah April 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

It sounds like lots of other people do what we do. My kiddos go play with their grandparents for a few hours every Friday. I usually use that time to go grocery shopping, but my hubby and I just started spending part of that time going out to lunch. I keep my eyes peeled for great coupons, and we usually end up spending $3.50 or less for both of us to eat. Besides, who cares what we’re eating as long as we are spending time together without kiddos running around.