Couponing for Community

by Marcy on April 28, 2010 · 9 comments

One of the things that I love the most about using coupons is being able to donate items to my local food bank or other charities. If you are a “stockpiler” as well, you have no doubt found your shelves bursting with a few too many items at one time or another. That’s why I wanted to let you know about a fun campaign that fellow blogger Kaley of Cha Ching on a Shoestring is spearheading called Couponing for Community.

During the week of May 2-8, Kaley is asking you to give away a portion of your stockpile to those in need, with the thought being that if we all unite, we can make a huge impact! You can get all of the details on Kaley’s site here.

What about you? Do you already donate items from your stockpile on a regular basis? What tips/tricks do you have for managing your stockpile? For example, how do you make room for it, and do you have a system for making sure that your food doesn’t expire?

1 Pamela Talmadge April 28, 2010 at 6:56 AM

I love couponing and have been stock piling heath and beauty products to donate for years. For the past couple of years I have enjoyed doing the “Free after Rebate” items at Menards…..until my husband warned me about what would happen that if I bring home another “free” tube of silicone. Well, a Habitat for Humanity ReStore has just opened up in our town and has given me a place to take all my “freebies”! I’m happy because I can shop the freebies and he’s happy that it’s not all coming home (of course unless it is something that HE really wants!)

2 Lisa @ The Spot To Save April 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM

What a wonderful idea!! I have assisted my church in being able to help those who ask for help with donations. After hosting a coupon class, others have joined in on the donating and we have started a pantry at church now. It is such a blessing to be able to help others and at so little cost!
.-= Lisa @ The Spot To Save´s last blog ..NEW Coupons for Grilling! =-.

3 Kaley @ Cha-Ching on a Shoestring April 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Thanks, Marcy!!

4 Milk Donor Mama April 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I give toiletries to the domestic violence shelter collection that is done twice yearly where I work. The ladies in charge picked up my boxes from my cubicle yesterday: 10 full copy paper boxes! My CVS and Walgreens goodies are what fill the boxes.

I give extra food to my parents, who are unemployed, along with toiletries as well. In addition, we contribute to Operation Feed and Stamp Out Hunger.

5 Sharon April 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I LOVE this idea…because it is at a time that isn’t a holiday or another time that is promoted by another group! I’m in!

6 Kelly Overend April 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I’ve been involved with youth literacy groups and non profit early learning centers. Whenever Meijer runs the General Mills deals I typically can purchase cereal for 1 dollar a box. I always buy extra and donate. Thats a really good idea from Pamela..i’ve volunteered for Habitat a few times but never donated.

7 Amy April 29, 2010 at 5:48 AM

My Weight Watchers meeting accepts donations on the first Saturday of every month for a local food pantry. I keep a box near my door so I can toss freebies in as soon as I buy them. On the last week of the month I usually go through my stockpile to weed out anything that I don’t think we’ll use before it expires. I know that I got a great deal on things in the stockpile, so I don’t feel bad because I know that someone else will be able to use the item and it won’t go to waste.

8 H2 April 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I just took a load up to church last night for our area food pantry! Anything I can get for free I do and soon as I get home from shopping I sort the things I know we won’t use or don’t like and put them on the bed in the spare bedroom. At the end of each month I take it up to church.

Lisa, I too hope to organize a coupon class at church to encourage more donations to the pantry.

9 Lynn May 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I’ve been a couponer/stockpiler for several months now, and have in the past donated food, toiletries and school supplies to various charities, including a local food pantry and a local elementary school. I’m not the most skilled couponer around, but buy extra items when free or almost free to donate. I sometimes shop for good deals on items to donate to certain charities when I know there is a specific need, and was able to put together a couple of themed gift baskets for a small town charity event auction that raised a lot more than I spent. I keep a box specifically for items to donate. I really enjoy couponing and love that I’ve saved hundreds of dollars over the past few months and have at the same time been able to donate a considerable amount.