Target: New Printable Coupon Policy/System

by Marcy on November 21, 2009 · 23 comments

As I mentioned earlier this week, Target has implemented a new system for their printable coupons. You can view this new system and print your coupons here.

From what I understand, here is how the change will impact us:

* We will no longer be able to use “coupon generators” on forum websites

* We will be limited to printing 2 coupons per computer (in some cases 1)

* We will not know the expiration date or if the coupon is a manufacturer’s or Target coupon until we print the coupon

* To my knowledge, we will no longer be able to print coupons from the Target kiosks

* We will not know if we have reached the print limit on a coupon until we print it (a “print limit reached” message will print instead of the coupon)

Target has published a new FAQ page in response to their new printing system here.

I will do my best each week to alert you to which coupons are manufacturer’s vs. store and their expiration date. I know that this will come as a disappointment to many (myself included), but I can see Target’s point of view on this as well. I’m choosing to be thankful that Target is still offering printable coupons, and I’m hopeful that we’ll still be able to score great deals there each week.

——————————————————————
If you find this information useful, please consider subscribing to my RSS feed or email newsletter.

1 Mitchell W. November 21, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I tried printing coupons from the kiosk and I got a message stating “We’re sorry, but this area is not available on the Kiosk.”

2 Blakesmom November 22, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I just printed coupons from the Dublin target kiosk a week ago and it worked.

3 alohaamyc November 22, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Does anyone know if you can still use Target coupons with other coupons ?

4 Marcy November 22, 2009 at 1:54 AM

alohaamyc – yes, you should still be able to stack Target coupons with manufacturer’s coupons without a problem.

5 Chupsie November 22, 2009 at 2:08 AM

well, I used to always do target, but the one by me will not take their own coupons or mnf coupons… so I no longer go to target… they were getting more expensive than other places anyway.. its a shame but oh well

6 odomamo November 22, 2009 at 2:18 AM

I have printed some coupons off the new coupon system and I do believe that they are target coupons just like before. I also printed my two max and noticed that the bar codes are the same. So if you have a copier I’m not sure why you couldn’t make copies and just not use on the same day or all a once.

7 Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 2:22 AM

I tried to print coupons from the kiosk on Wednesday and today before reading this post, I could not print and when I asked customer service, she had no idea why it would not print the coupons.

8 Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Some I print out say Target coupon and some say manufacturer. It seems as though the coupons are changed almost daily.

9 Nicole D November 22, 2009 at 3:09 AM

I also tried to print coupons from the Target kiosks & it said the same thing “We’re sorry, but this area is not available on the Kiosk.” You would think they would want you to print coupons at their store to get buyers to buy their merchandise. I went to target when they had the Ocean Spray on sale & more, and i forgot my coupons at home. So i tried printing them in the store and got that message stating i couln’t do so. So i ended up not purchasing half the stuff on my list, simply becuz i had forgot my coupons. I thought what a hassle. Why would they do this. It’s just weird. You would think a company would offer this for their customers who are loyal to their company. And it makes things a bit more conveinent. But i guess all great things sometimes come to an end.

10 Marcy November 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I don’t recommend photo copying printable coupons. It is considered coupon fraud and if you get busted, it wouldn’t be pretty.

The changes to the Target coupon printing system didn’t occur until the middle of last week (I believe). (Just as an FYI for those of you who tried to print from kiosks…even if it worked last weekend, it might not now).

11 Mary November 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I was at Target Last week and used coupons and Stack some.The cashier informed me that If the regester didn’t take them I could go to the service desk and they might beable to take them. So I did got a few looks but she was able to scan them and it worked. That was printable coupons from thier site as well as Sunday paper coupons. It wasn’t a good experice. So I don’t know that I would shop there with coupons again.

12 Gretchen November 22, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I printed the $1 off Dixie Ultra Plate/Napkin and it is manufacturer, but the Pepperidge Farm, Wasa and Ritz all printed as Target. How WEIRD!

13 Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I used a manufaturer coupon for I can’t beleive its not butter & the target printable (not generated from a forum) the other day. She scanned both and took them, put marks on them etc. I got home & looked at the reciept and only then man coupon was discounted! I called customer service @ the store and they said they would refund me the money next time I came in with the receipt. I havent gone in yet, so I hope they keep their word. Not happy with them, but their customer service is always good. Always check your reciepts!!! I don’t beleive I’ll be doing much more shopping there.

14 jewelsbyjamie November 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I personally don’t like target anyway, I never use coupons there without a hassle and every single time I go there I have to end up calling corporate in order to get the coupons accepted. However I do like to use target coupons at other stores that accept competitors coupons, and my biggest disappointment with the change is that the ecentives software doesn’t support a number of widely used operating systems or browsers. For example windows 7 or firefox 3.5. I also hate that when the print limit is exceeded ecentives wastes paper by printing that message rather than displaying it on screen. So for me this is just another reason Target STINKS.

15 odomamo November 23, 2009 at 3:32 AM

I just went to Target today. I’m telling you watch what coupons really get taken off. Sometimes if the cashier doesn’t hit a key it doesn’t take it off. The 1st thing out of her mouth when I handed her my stack was “OH GREAT”. I had a total of over $27 in coupons and got shorted $7 when I came home and added it up. I really like target but i’m ready to stop shopping there.

16 Jennifer November 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I have also had problems with Target cashiers not properly scanning coupons. I have even had them lie to me when I asked if they were scanned, only to find that they weren’t. Its always for a small amount, 50 cents or maybe a dollar, so I usually don’t bother but now that I think about it, over time it probably adds up. I can’t get the new coupon program to install on any of the computers in this house, including four for my parent’s business, all with either XP, Vista, or 7. I can only get it on my mother’s laptop and it isn’t connected to a printer. Its too much hassle.

17 Anonymous November 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I think they are going to notice a drop in sales from now. The last time I was in there I bought one item and used a coupon from the Sunday Paper. The girl inspected it with a fine tooth comb and looked at if for a couple of minutes. How hard is it to read “good on any reach product”? Then, I asked for an extra bag she said “oh, I’m not supposed to.” She gave me one anyway, but I thought..are you serious?

18 Barry Hughes November 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Another thing is price matching. They will take the Target coupon off first before the price match and not after.

That one thing alone will be a big deal for me on whether to shop at Target or just get it for the sale price at the other without the hassel.

19 Anonymous November 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Barry, To use price matching, they ring you up than you have to go to customer service to get refunded the difference, its a big hassle, especially if there is a long line….and they are getting overly strict on their coupons. I think i may go back to wal-mart, its a bit further a drive, but at least they don’t hassle me and price matching is still done at the register.

20 Anonymous November 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Only once have I had a problem at Target with coupons. It was when I first started using their coupons and the cashier said it wouldn’t take because it was for over the price of the product (at the time, I did not know they are supposed to adjust the coupon down). I actually went last night and had a couple items that had both a manufacturer and Target coupon. The cashier did look at them quick, but then said she would scan them in a certain order for them not to beep. All the coupons went through fine. I hope it stays that way because I like Target so much better than Wal-Mart. The Wal-Marts around here are just so dirty.

21 Anonymous November 25, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Tried to use a Target coupon (printed from coupons.com), paired with a mnf coupon (printed from the new Target coupon page) and was told I couldn’t do it because even tho the coupon printed from the Target website stated mnf coupon, it had the Target logo so it was still considered a Target coupon. (Both coupons were for CFL light bulbs.)

22 Marcy November 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Anon – Target’s coupon policy clearly states that we are allowed to use one manufacturer’s and one Target coupon on one item. The only thing I know to do is make a copy of the policy and take it with you when you plan to stack coupons.

23 Anonymous November 30, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Just thought i’d throw this out there, but, it doesn’t say on the target coupons that you can’t make copies and they all have the same scan code. So, really this new policy just means that each of us has become the target coupon generator.