Target: Hidden Glade Candle Gift Card Deal

by Marcy on October 27, 2009 · 16 comments

Thanks to Dee Ann (a Stretching a Buck Facebook fan) and Meagan (from Frugal Fun and Fortune), I have information for you about an awesome Glade Gift Card deal at Target!

Now through 12/26/09, receive a $5 Target Gift Card when you buy 5 Glade Holiday Scented Candle Tins, Glass Holders or Refills at $2.50/ea. This deal includes Bayberry, Gingerbread, Apple Cinnamon, Peppermint, Holly, and Vanilla scented products.

It is possible to make money on this deal, using the right coupons. Here is a scenario that Dee Ann posted on my fan page:

- Buy 5 Glade Tins @ $2.50/ea ($12.50)
- Buy 5 Glade Refills @ $2.50/ea ($12.50)
- Use 5 $1.50/1 coupon (found inside candle tins) (less $7.50)
- Use 5 B1G1 Free Refill when you buy a Holder coupon nfound in blinkie machines at grocery stores and here or in 11/1 Smart Source insert (less $12.50)

Pay $5 out of pocket, get $10 in Target Gift Cards!

Additional Notes:

* To make this an even sweeter deal, get $5 back via the SC Johnson rebate when you buy 3 participating products – and you are allowed to send this rebate in 3 times per household!

* If you aren’t comfortable using the $1.50/1 coupons in conjunction with the B1G1 Free coupons, this is still a money maker. Pay $12.50 out of pocket using the scenario above, get $10 in Target Gift Cards + Get $6 back via the SC Johnson rebate.

* Receive a free music download with any Glade Special Edition Purchase. Read more here.

* Meagan has additional scenarios listed for this offer in her post here, so be sure to check it out.

Check out a complete list of Target deals for this week here.

——————————————————————
If you find this information useful, please consider subscribing to my RSS feed or email newsletter.

1 Jenn Mc October 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM

My store had the end date as 12/26.

2 Marcy October 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Thanks Jenn…typing too fast last night apparently. The post has been corrected. :-)

3 Ashley October 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Has anyone tried this? I thought that when you used a BOGO coupon, you couldn’t use a separate coupon in addition to it.

For example, if you use the buy a candle holder, get a refill free coupon — how do you use the candle holder coupon that’s found in the tin in addition to the BOGO coupon?

The only reason why I ask is because I thought the BOGO coupon would only scan if both the candle holder and refill are present in the transaction (which it would be). But, once you use the BOGO coupons, then try to use the $1.50 tin coupon, wouldn’t the register reject it since it has already technically applied the BOGO coupon to the tins?

I hope I worded that in a way that made sense. Of course, I’m also not very familiar with Target’s way of doing things, so maybe their system is set up differently.

Also, if it does work — shouldn’t your OOP be $5+tax?

5 x $2.50 = $12.50
5 x $2.50 = $12.50
$25 – $12.50 (BOGO) – $7.50 (tins) = $5
Plus 2 $5 gift cards

4 Amy October 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I did this deal but on a little smaller scale because I only had 2 b1g1 coupons so I bought 3 tins and 2 refills. I used 2 b1g1 coupons and 3 $1.50 coupons from the tins and I also had a target coupon I got in the mail for $1 off a glade product. I just handed over all the coupons and had no beeps and no hassles. But I haven’t had any problems with coupons at my Target store.

5 x $2.50 = $12.50
$12.50 – $5.00 b1g1 – $4.50 tins – $1.00 mail coupon = $2.00

Plus you get the $5 gift card and thanks for the reminder that I can send in the rebate.

5 Patricia October 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Does anyone know if this is at all Target stores? It isn’t posted at my Target. I know that there was a sign at another Target that had this deal so i thought i would see a sign or something to indicate this deal but there is nothing.

6 Marcy October 28, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Ashley – thanks for the math correction – WOW lots of little errors on my part last night!

I haven’t tried doing this myself, but Dee Ann (the commenter on FB) said she had to use the B1G1 coupons first, and then she used the $1.50/1 coupons. She claimed that the coupons didn’t beep for her.

Personally, I don’t normally combine other coupons with B1G1 coupons, not because I think it is wrong, but because I don’t want to deal with a potential hassle. It’s up to you what you would like to try.

Even using just the B1G1 coupons, you would pay $12.50 out of pocket and get $10 back – plus if you do the rebate it would still be a small money maker.

7 Ashley October 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I went to Target today and tried this. It worked, but I don’t think it was supposed to. The cashier had to force the BOGO coupon through because it was saying something along the lines of “the item was not found.” She didn’t give me any problems or even question it, but I’m sure all of the cashiers wouldn’t be as easy going.

8 Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I did this, but as with Ashley I wasn’t allowed to use any coupons in addition to the BOGO coupons. Also, both Targets I visited here in CT had previously removed all the coupons from the tins so consumers wouldn’t use them. I was lucky to have some from previous purchases at other stores, but was still not allowed to use them.

9 Joy November 3, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Be careful with the Glade rebate. You can only submit 3 items at a time for the rebate. If you have a receipt with 10 items on it, you only get credit for 3. It would be better to do 5 in one and 5 in another transaction and then you could get back $10 because you can do 3 per household.

10 Audra November 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I tried this today and it didn’t work. I ran into several problems:

1. Couldn’t use another coupon after using BOGO coupon. I’m sure a different cashier might have pushed it through.

2. My clerk said the refills didn’t count towards the “buy 5 glade items, get $5 gift card.” I told her there was a sign at the end of the aisle that stated differently. She called over the manager and they opened up the ad. Since there was only a picture of a glass glade candle and not oil refills, they said it didn’t count.

I got (politely) frustrated and just put back all the candle stuff. Good luck to anyone else trying this one out!

11 The Kinseys November 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I tried this deal and it didn’t work for me. I sent my hubby in to do it (and he usually does a great job doing the shopping if I put the deals together).

The tins weren’t even priced at $2.50 though they were in the ad for that price so they had to do a price match. Hubby got home and realized he forgot to get the gift cards because they didn’t do it automatically (probably something to do with being priced wrong).

He went back in today to get them and they told him that he can’t get 2 gift cards because of the BOGO coupons. That the coupons had to be less than the amount or it doesn’t qualify. So we could get 1 gift card + the rebate for $10 back.

We just decided to return them. If it was a money-maker we were interested but I don’t want them enough to pay for it if they won’t do the deal.

I’m a little peeved, it doesn’t say in the ad you can’t use coupons or coupons need to be less than the amount of anything so if I got 5 I think they should honor it. Oh well.

12 Sarah November 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM

My Target in Cincinnati simply won’t restock. I’ve checked Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday–nothing. Unless hordes of customers have rushed in and bought them all before 9:30 in the morning after I drop my son at pre-school, that is, which I highly doubt.

13 lazonya November 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Grrr…I got them to do the deal finally. They said that they can only accept ONE coupon per transaction. I told them it is one per purchase. After the 2nd manager came over he finally listened to me and rang up the purchase. Oh well.

14 Marshall and Staci November 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I just was pleasantly surprised (sarcasm) to see that there are coupon thieves at my Target. I went to go get the tins, and only one tin had the 1.50 coupon in it (I checked them ALL). Hopefully next time I go there will be new tins with coupons in them.

15 Anonymous November 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Is this deal suppose to be ongoing? I’m in Florida and went to my Target around Thursday, Nov. 19th and it was not advertised in front of candles or in Target weekly specials. The customer service lady said she thought that deal was for the week before. I use these glade candles all the time and would love to also get the gift cert.? Any help?

16 Marcy November 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Anon – from what I was told, this deal is supposed to be valid through 12/26 – even though it has only been advertised in one ad since it started. If you don’t see signs on your shelves indicating that you can get the gift card, my guess is that it is not running in your store. :-( I wish I could be of more help!