Menu Plan Monday: 8/17/09

by Marcy on August 17, 2009 · 10 comments

I have started and stopped menu planning more times than I can count, but the important part is that I keep starting again, right? This week is my first true attempt to get back into it after one of the busiest summers of my life. And while it has been great, I am looking forward to fall and to living on more of a schedule (and to sleeping in my own bed!). I’m sure many of you can relate…it seems to have been a busy one for a lot of us!

In addition to attempting to eat in more this week, I also need to start dealing with what I am going to start calling “the big, honking tomato harvest of 2009”. We decided to start our tomato plants from seeds this year, and because we weren’t sure how they would do, we planted several plants. And while we are excited that our tomato plants have done so well (they have grown taller than my husband) I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with all of the tomatoes! If you have a favorite salsa recipe or any other tomato recipes you would like to share, I would love to hear them!

Now on to the plan:

Monday Turkey Meatloaf and Green Beans

Tuesday – BLTs and Pasta Salad

Wednesday – Leftovers

Thursday Taco Soup

Friday – Eat Out/Pizza

Saturday – L – Leftovers
D – Cookout with Friends

Sunday – L – Leftovers
D – Grilled Chicken, Potatoes, and Veggies

For lots of menu plan inspiration, be sure to check out Menu Plan Monday hosted by I’m an Organizing Junkie. If you are new to menu planning, read a little more about my approach here.

Have a wonderful week!

1 Amy August 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Marcy,

I am so jealous of your tomato crop. I have only picked one red one so far off my plants. Another one’s shoulders are turning orange, but that’ll be a few more days before it’s ready to eat. I’ve found a few hornworms, so I’ve had to deal with their destruction. This year’s harvest looks to only be so-so.

I don’t really have a salsa recipe. I just throw stuff together depending on what I have. If you’re going to can salsa, but sure to have enough acid ingredients (tomatoes, lemon juice or vinegar) and not too many low acid ones (peppers, onions). Official canning recipes like Ball’s will have safe ratios.

Last year I froze most of my tomatoes. I peeled, seeded and diced them. Then I froze them in 2-cup portions (pint bags are my favorite!) for later use in recipes that call for a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes. Very fresh tasting and less work than canning them.

2 Mollysmom August 17, 2009 at 1:06 PM

My neighbor had a bumper tomato crop last year ( in our suburban Columbus neighborhood) and secretly left baskets of them on each of her neighbors’ porches. It was such a nice surprise and made many families very happy. Not exactly what you were asking, but just a thought if you are feeling overwhelmed with the number of tomatoes you have to do something with!

3 Erica Brooks August 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Yummy menu ideas. I think my kids would like the Taco Soup. Have a great week.

4 M August 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I tried the garden marinara sauce recipe from $5 dinners last week and we loved it. I want to make more to freeze, but sadly don’thave the bumper crop of tomatoes this year. (I plan to plant more next year!)

Here’s the link

5 Rose August 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Salsa recipe….. Oh my goodness I have one I found at the Garden Web harvest forum! It’s called Annie’s Salsa and man this stuff is nothing but good! I have made 2 batches this year and everyone that has tried it has flipped out over it. My sister wanted the recipe and was going to buy gallons of tomatoes to make it with and my friend said she was going to plant the tomatoes next year and we were going to get together and make some of this stuff. lol Her husband had a fit over it!!!!
You can see the recipe here on my blog.

6 candace August 18, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Instead of pizza sauce, I slice our garden tomatoes and lay them on the crust. Yum!

7 Anonymous August 18, 2009 at 3:12 AM

You could can your extras – they make great chili. If you don’t can, you can always freeze them. I’d recommend peeling them first (easiest way is to put them in boiling water until they crack and then the skins come right off – handle carefully, they’re hot!). Then you can just put a bunch in a quart size freezer bag (however much you think you’d use for a meal/recipe) We froze a bunch of tomatoes last fall and made a yummy batch of salsa with them this spring.

8 meg August 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I love the following meatless main dish using fresh tomatoes (It would be good with a side of grilled chicken, of course :)
Skillet Pasta with Mozzarella
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS olive oil
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. crushed fennel seed
pepper to taste
8 ozs. rigatoni, cooked, drained
2 cups shredded mozzarella
Cook n stir tomatoes, onion & garlic in oil in lg skillet 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato sauce & seasonings. Cook over low heat 4 minutes. Add rigatoni, mix lightly. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with cheese; cover. Cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Makes 4 servings.
(I usually double all the ingredients except for the mozzarella to make it a little less cheesy – less calories) enjoy!

9 chericocacola August 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM

We’re facing the same problem here….so many tomatoes, so little time…..
Make some really big batches of spaghetti/marinara sauce, and then freeze them into portion sizes in ziploc bags (lay them flat to freeze – you’ll have more room in your freezer). A good way to start the sauce is by putting them on a baking sheet with olive oil and s/p and let them cook until they burst – they turn out soooo sweet.

10 Debbie August 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I hope you will plan to join me next week for Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Mister Linky will be up Tuesday ready for your delicious dish. Thanks for posting.